Bethesda released a new remastered version of the original Quake game on the occasion of its 25th anniversary earlier this year to positive critical and commercial reception, and a new update to the game (free to all players who own it) has added a new Horde mode.
Players will face progressively harder waves of enemies in the Horde mode, which can either be played solo or in a group of up to 4 people (bots or other players). The update also adds an add-on by the name of Honey, which is a set of new stages, which will supposedly task players to “delve deep into the darkness to conquer a deadly plague infecting the land”.
Various other bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements also arrive with the patch. You can check out the full patch notes below.
Quake is available right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC. The game is also a part of the Xbox Game Pass library both on console and PC, and comes with a new expansion developed by MachineGames.
- All new multiplayer PvE experience designed by MachineGames
- Supports 1 – 4 players or bots in local multiplayer and online modes (Custom matches only)
- Playable on all difficulty levels
- Includes 4 new maps specifically designed for Horde Mode
- Score points by killing enemies
- Kill multiple enemies in quick succession for bonus points
- Your progression is reset after the last player dies
- Every 3rd wave has boss monsters but once you clear it, you get a Silver key to unlock more weapons and items
- After the 9th wave, you get a gold key to unlock the exit, or you can keep fighting as long as you are able
- Monsters have a chance of dropping quad damage and the pentagram of protection (powerups last for 5 seconds once picked up and despawn if not picked up after 10 seconds)
NEW ADD-ON: HONEY
- Expand your Quake experience with the free Honey Add-on and delve deep into the darkness to conquer a deadly plague infecting the land
- Improved auto aim to reduce amount of snapping and view locking onto enemies
- Crosshair color and type can now be changed from the Gameplay options menu
- Add-ons menu can now be used to play previously downloaded add-ons while offline
- Text chat and push to talk voice chat are now available in pre-game lobbies
- Added ability to invite friends across PC platforms using players on your Bethesda.net friends list (optional)
RANGER SKINS IN QUAKE CHAMPIONS AND DOOM ETERNAL
- Owners of our Quake re-release can log in with their Bethesda.net credentials in-game to earn the Ranger Slayer Skin for DOOM Eternal and the Quake Guy Ranger Skin with the Gladus Axe in Quake Champions! (NOTE: In addition to owning Quake, players must also own DOOM Eternal or Quake Champions to use their respective skins)
- Note: Nintendo Switch users can unlock the Ranger Slayer Skin in DOOM Eternal alongside Update 6.66 sometime in early 2022. Stay tuned to the Slayers Club for updates!
- Fixed Death Knight incorrectly referred to as Hell Knight in the main Quake campaign
- Bots now chat less
- Fixed cases where texture borders were visible around certain HUD elements
- Fixed weapon firing immediately after respawning in multiplayer
- Turning off Enable Microphone before connecting to online services now properly mutes the microphone
- Fixed a crash related to secret levels when loading a save
- Fixed controller audio not playing in multiplayer when in someone else’s lobby
- Deadzone and other sliders should no longer have unselectable values
- Fixed achievement popup getting cut off when the pause menu is active
Microsoft Store (PC)
- “First Controller” setting now works correctly